Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Berger Review! Houston’s, 9/20/05

Last night we were exhausted, actually yesterday afternoon we were exhausted. All I wanted was something familiar, something good and the obvious choice was a burger.

Proximity and timing were also key last night. Everything fell into place and JB and I were seated at Houston’s in the Citicorp building before 6:30.

Houston’s is peculiar. It’s a chain. You almost always have to wait (unless you get there before 6:30). And yet people in New York seem to love it, including myself.

I knew what I wanted before I looked at the menu. Burger please. There were two to choose from, a Cheeseburger or a Hickory Burger which promised cheese, bacon, onions and BBQ sauce. I opted for the classic and it was phenomenal.

I don’t know what they put in that cheddar but it made the burger. I could have had another order of the cheeseburger, hold the burger. I ate each bite faster and faster. JB told me to slow down but I just could not stop the enjoyment. After I finished the burger I picked at the shoestring fries, lettuce, tomato and sesame seed bun scavenging for more juicy meat or cheese.

JB avoided the Burger route (self-imposed health kick for the evening) and had the mushroom barley soup and grilled chicken salad. Both were fine, but neither rose to the top. And a few hours later he was begging for a slice of pizza, some health kick.

When we left at about 7:30 the bar was filled and the line for dinner was halfway to Barnes & Noble upstairs.

We headed home to watch our Tuesday night shows, Biggest Loser, Big Break IV (a golf reality show, of course) and Nip/Tuck. Can you guess whose choices were whose? Hint: One is my obession, one is JB's and one is joint.

Until we eat again, KLB

No comments: