Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Labor Day Fun: John Scott's, Westhampton Beach, NY

John Scott's is a summer tradition. A glorified shack across the street from the ocean, John Scott's is only open in the summer and there's no better place to temporarily forget your troubles. Unfortunately, it's not a secret and cars can line Dune Road waiting to get in on any given day. Some people are there just to drink, others just to eat, but usually, it's both.

Over the years, I've had most of the items on the menu. And some visits have been better than others, so my expectations were low. This Labor Day weekend may have been one of the beat meals I've had here, ever.

It was an even number of kids vs. adults, 3 vs. 3, so while each of the boys had a burger and fries, the adults split an order of mussels. Mussels are something I rarely order and then when I do I remember that I should order them more often. The mussels at John Scott's are in a rich tomato sauce. The dish comes with bread to help mop up the sauce but JB started using the boys' discarded hamburger buns, too. (That's a sign that he liked it!)

For my main course I had the shrimp Caesar salad. I though maybe if I was lucky I'd get 4 shrimp, and I got double that on a skewer over a well-made salad with just the right amount of dressing. I felt so lucky as I washed down my salad with my Corona light listening to the acoustic guitar player overlooking Moriches Bay. For about 2 minutes. Then Big Z was up and running, but for 2 minutes it was one of those perfect summer moments.

Just a side note, JB also had a burger and declared it straight-from-the-freezer terrible and fishy tasting.

Next time he'll follow my lead.

Until our next Berger,
KLB

John Scott's Surf Shack
540 Dune Road
Westhampton Beach, NY 11978
631.288.5810
No website, but check out their Facebook page.




No comments: