Thursday, September 12, 2013

Hola Mexico: La Brisa de Tacombi, Montauk, NY

Within minutes of docking in Montauk after our two day stint in Block Island, I was ready for dinner.  We hadn’t been to Montauk all summer and I’d been collecting a list of new establishments to try.  La Brisa was at the top of the list. 

If Tacombi is the flagship  New York City version, then La Brisa is the Montauk cousin.  Being that’s it is in Montauk, the atmosphere is laid back and surf-like and with a fish-heavy menu.

We dove in. We had to try their guacamole with homemade chips.  Now JB makes a killer homemade guac, so our bar is very high, and this guac passed the bar – excellent.  Lots of lime, not too much garlic and just overall a winner. 

We each had two tacos.  Each taco comes with two made-that-day tortillas.  The restaurant recommends ordering 3 tacos per person, but since we had the guac (and a side of excellent rice), we scaled back. 

I chose steak and shrimp, both had a spicy kick to them with fresh ingredients.  JB chose chicken mole and steak. We both agreed that we could have had more.  I guess the restaurant was right. 

The restaurant is planning to stay open year-round, I hope they do, otherwise I’ll be running to New York City for my next taco fix. 

La Brisa de Tacombi

752 Montauk Highway

Montauk, NY

631.668.3883

tacombi.com/labrisa/

No comments: