Friday, September 27, 2013

Burgers, Ramen & Ices: Here & There, New York, NY

Where better to spend the last day of summer than foodie hopping in NYC.  Back when JB and I were full-time city residents, this was a favorite pastime.  It still is, but now our group is a little bigger and involves a stroller.  We had less stops so we had to make them count.

 

Stop #1: Naruto Ramen

This was a JB-stop only.  Not that I don’t like ramen (I don’t love it though), but Big Z and Little D are not fans, so JB went solo.  Lucky him.  He had 30 peaceful minutes eating/sluriping Miso Ramen. Naruto Ramen is a small noodle shop with a few tables and even fewer seats at the counter-JB opted for takeout on the bench outside.  (Note to self: Do not try this in the winter. )

The restaurant separates the takeout soup into two containers, one for the broth and the other for the junk.  The junk here includes the homemade ramen noodles, roast pork, fish cake, bamboo shoots, corn and bean sprouts.  And butter. Yes, butter.  Combine and eat. 

1596 3rd Ave

New York, NY

212.289.7803

www.narutoterakawa.com

 

Stop #2: People’s Pops

Our adventures took us playground visiting in the East Village.  We were hot and needed ice cream.  Knowing that we were having burgers for dinner, I tried to steer us towards something lighter.  People’s Pops did the trick.  

This outside stand on the corner of 1st Avenue may not be the best location given the abundance of homeless people and tourists, including a drag queen-led tour, 
but it works.   One man sits at his perch with a massive block of ice.  He shaves the ice and he douses it with your favorite flavor.  We opted for Lemon Mint.  Yum.  And light. And perfect. 

Our younger set chose the more tame strawberry popsicle that was a combination of mik, strawberries and sugar.  The drippy chins were proof of love. 

Check out their website because you too can enjoy this goodness.  They sell their wares at local gourmet markets in the NY area.  

118 1st Ave
New York, NY
347.850.2388

http://www.peoplespops.com/

 

 

Stop #3: 5 Napkin Burger 

And finally it was burger time.  I’d read so much about 5 Napkin Burger that I was drooling when we walked in.  I wanted my burger now. 

Big Z selected a big round table and our drooling continued as we looked over the menu.  So many burgers, so little time.  I could have had anything on the menu.  But I was here for one thing.  The Original.

Now I’m the kind of person that usually needs to alter my meal in some way.  Put something on the side, add something on top – but tonight I was having the Original and I was having it as is. 

Gruyere, sautéed onions and rosemary aioli atop the 10 ounces of beef on a soft white roll.   The Original is the one that is supposed to require 5 napkins.  It doesn’t.  Yes, the combination was good but something was missing.  Salt? Pepper? Maybe.  I just couldn’t put my finger on it.

JB felt the same about his classic cheese.  Good, but not a Wow. 

I think, though, that we’ll be back.  The boys loved their burgers and fries.  The cheddar tots were interesting, although I could have used a few more.  And the place is just cool – adorned with subway tiles and bare light bulbs. 

The menu is big enough for another shot.

150 E. 14th Street

New York NY

212.228.5500

http://www.5napkinburger.com

 

Until our Next Berger,

KLB

No comments: