Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Another BBQ Lunch and Dessert: Bobbique and Queen City Cupcakes, Patchogue, NY

Another vacation day, another lunch out. As the clock is ticking on summer, we found ourselves in the town of Patchogue today about 20 miles west of the Hamptons.

Patchogue has in recent years undergone a renaissance of sorts. The main street now houses good restaurants, interesting shops and refurbished theatre. Fresh off our BBQ lunch at Townline last week, JB was eager for some comparison eating at Bobbique. Note: I was sort of still full from last week

The restaurant was relatively empty but that didn't deter us. Big Z insisted on one of the 2 booths in the window which to our delight was right in front of their vast beer list. I was thirsty and jumped at the opportunity to enjoy a Bronx Pale Ale with my lunch. JB, ever the golfer, chose an Arnie Palmer and had at least 3 free refills much to the server's dismay.

I couldn't do another heavy meal, so I chose the BBQ shrimp platter. Each platter comes with 2 sides, and in hopes of sharing with my boys, I selected Mac & cheese and corn on the cob.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I was happy to receive 3 skewers of shrimp brushed lightly with BBQ sauce. The shrimp were well cooked and flavorful. The Mac & Cheese came in a small cup and was homemade. Little D devoured the corn.

JB's order, per usual, was meat-heavy. A half-rack of St. Louis ribs was meaty but too saucy for me. His sides of potato salad and coleslaw looked mayonaisse-y from my seat, but spot according to JB.

The boys, surprise, had a burger and fries. This kids burger came in 2 patties and was well-seasoned.

And because we were exploring we went down the street for dessert at Queen City Cupcakes. This quaint shop is part bakery, part housewares store. It was a little too dainty for my family, JB muttered "bull in a china shop" so we hightailed it out of there before anything was broke with a bag full of treats. A large black and white cookie, a rainbow cookie and a brown butter salt cookie. Everything sounded and looked good but the only true winner was the black & white. Maybe a cupcake would have been a better choice.

Until our next Berger,
KLB

Bobbique
70 W. Main Street
Patchogue, NY 11772
631.447.7744
bobbique.com

Queen City Cupcakes
62 W. Main Street
Patchogue, NY 11772
queencitypatchogue.com/

No comments: