Thursday, June 22, 2006

Kittichai, 6/20/06

Coming off the horrible dinner at Gramercy 24 (see below), I had superhigh expectations for Kittichai. It had been on my list for almost 2 years and when my mom asked where I wanted to go for my belated birthday dinner, it sprung to mind.

Kittichai was early in the Asian pioneers, before Spice Market, before Buddkhan, before Buddha Bar. It is Thai by nature, even though all Asian fusion places tend to follow similar themes.

The restaurant is in 60 Thompson, a boutique hotel on Thompson Street where you often read that celebrities hang their hat. The restaurant is celebrity-worthy, with a pool in the center of the room complete with floating candles and orchids, it is a downtown Four Seasons Pool Room.

My parents, not the best sharers, rose to the challenge and shared every dish. I had done the requisite research and ordered for the table. Appetizers were crispy rock shrimp with eggplant, seared tuna, foie gras and chocolate spare ribs. Sea bass and wok fried chicken rounded out the meal along with fried rice and asian greens.

All dishes were tasty. Highlights included the seared tuna which you cooked on a hot rock on the tabletop. The chocolate ribs were fun to watch being eaten -- my dad's face was covered in chocolate -- than to eat. I did not have the foie gras which JB especially loved and my mom devoured the shrimp.

I found the mains on the small side, especially the chicken, however, since we had a lot to start we were sated. And the extensive cocktail list helped, too.

Dessert included banana spring rolls and honey ice cream. The honey ice cream was a standout. A nice reminder of summer.

Until we eat again, KLB

2 comments:

skf said...

yum, honey ice cream!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!