Thursday, June 22, 2006

Gramercy 24, 6/19/06

This was quite possibly the worst dinner in New York city in my lifetime. I knew to question the crowd which was small and obviously from out of town. But I had hope for the chef and the restaurant. Hope was not enough.

It wasn't entirely my fault. We had agreed to go to a seafood place. I nominated Tides on the les or Ditch Plains in the west village. It was kimberly who suggested something closer. And that's how I found gramercy 24.

A seafood place in the gramercy park area - how bad could it be?

At least the wine list was good. A nice bottle of reisling was reasonably priced. When we finished dinner JB asked what everyone's favorite of the worst was - matt's was the wine, confirming that he is indeed the smartest of us all.

I'll talk about the food in order of bad to worse. Kimberly had the linguine and clams which were sort of safe, Matt and I each had the tuna burgers, which were small, overcooked and taseless. JB had pizza for reasons no one could explain. Seriously, why order pizza in a seafood place? But he had a craving that was not satisfied. Elio's would have been better.

Also on the menu was a lobster club which was my first order. When ordering I specifically asked if there was celery, being a celery-hater. I was told a definitive no and wouldn't you know it, the club came packed with celery. I sent it back, but not before JB tasted it and declared it equally awful. At least they were consistent, consistently awful.

Until we eat again, KLB

No comments: