Monday, June 05, 2006

Berger Review! Zip Burger, 6/5/06

It's been ages since I've done a Berger Review, but even longer, it's been a year and a half since I'd seen my friend Jeramie.

Jeramie and I started working together in 2000 and then when he moved jobs, I followed suit. And we were at the same place when he left in May 2004 to follow his dream and move to Australia.

What I miss most about Jeramie are our food discussions. We both love food in its simplest form, especially burgers.

And so, it was almost fate that Zip Burger, the newest "foodie" burger joint to hit Manhattan, opened last week mere blocks from my office on 52nd & 2nd. Jeramie had asked to have lunch near my office.

I had, of course, reviewed the menu in advance. It is simple -- burgers only -- beef, veggie, turkey and salmon. Pick your bun, your cheese, your sauce and any extras. Fries and shakes complete the menu. And hamburger salad -- right.

All ingredients are high quality which is why our two burgers cost over $20 at this takeout place.

My burger was topped with Vermont cheddar and grilled vidalia onions wrapped in a lettuce wrap. I don't recommend the lettuce-wrapped burger, it just falls apart. I do recommend the vidalia onions.

Jeramie chose a more extravagant bunned burger of guacamole, bacon and cheddar.

We had similar opinions: excellent toppings (next time I want to try the goat cheese burger), decent beef and at an average price. Both burgers, though, came underdone at medium, so I'd order up.

And get there early, the lines can be long and last week they ran out of meat!

Until we eat again, KLB

No comments: