Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mo Pitkin's 1/24/06

Ever since I read about Mo Pitkin's I've been dying to go. They positioned themselves as Juedo-Latino restaurant on where else but Avenue A. Think Jewish comfort food, chorizo and Manishevitz-tinis.

We met our friend Amanda for some noshes and catch-up at their East Village location, following a long meeting with our wedding photographer. I needed a drink.

The center of the menu offers specialty cocktails, JB and I each got a spiked egg cream, mine with Stoli Vanilla and his with chocolate vodka. It was like starting with dessert. I could have had 3.

I wanted everything on the menu. They have brisket, roast chicken, matzoh ball soup, cuban sandwiches, you name it.

We settled on the following -- an order of latkes to start, a mo pitkins platter for Amanda, a Mo Burger for JB and deep-fried macaroni & cheese for me. As you can see, we opted for Jewish, not Latino.

In short, the food is good, but it is a little gimmicky. The latkes were fine, better than the ones JB tried to make in a soup pan in December, and surprisingly the applesauce was superior with lots of cinnamon. I didn't have any of the items on Amanda's sampler that included deviled eggs, chopped liver and lots of veggies, but it was served on a seder plate, so that has to be good.

The burger is one of their trademarks. It comes with a shmear of chicken liver and a fried egg. It was too much for me, sort of ripoff on the DB Burger, though not a bad deal at $11.

And then there was the mac & cheese. It was a brick of breadcrumbs sitting in velveeta soup. Inside was perfect macaroni & cheese. This side order was more than enough food for me, I'd argue that it is a meal for two.

An hour later, I'm still stuffed and probably will still be tomorrow. But isn't that the point of good Jewish comfort food?

Until we eat again, KLB

No comments: