Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Birthday Lunch: Cowfish, Hampton Bays, NY

If you don't already know, today is my actual birthday.  And what better way to celebrate than an al fresco lunch on the water with JB.  The day threatenened rain, so our original plans were more landlocked, but when I saw the sun come out late morning, we were waterbound. 

I really can't believe we hadn't been to Cowfish already, it is in the neighboring town of Hampton Bays.  Right on the Shinnecock Canal, which connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Peconic Bay, Cowfish has something for everyone including tantalizing drinks and a playground for kids with some delicious food and views in between. 

Tuesday at 12:30PM is not a busy time for Cowfish so we were given our choice of table on the upstairs balcony.  Since we've heard that such a table on a busy Saturday night in the summer might have an hour or two wait, we considered ourselves especially lucky.

I imbibed some Sparkling Rose from Bedell Cellars on the North Fork, while JB stuck to freshly made mango iced tea complete with JB's favorite, the Mason Jar as a glass. 

Choosing was difficult, the lunch menu was not as large as I'd hoped.  I settled on a Caesar Salad with added Shrimp and JB, after much agonizing, selected the special, a Fresh Flounder Sandwich.  We both chose well.  My Caesar had cornbread croutons and a sizable amount of crunchy and well-flavored salad.  However, there were only 3 shrimp included on my salad which I found a bit skimpy considering the $8 upcharge. 

JB claimed that his flounder tasted as if it had been caught to order.  Two large fried filets covered the bread, almost po boy-like, and there was a hefty side of coleslaw.  JB loved my cornbread croutons so much that he wanted to get an order of cornbread for dessert and then, fortunately, changed his mind.

Speaking of dessert, since it was my birthday, I wanted my all-time favorite, key lime pie.  Sadly, Cowfish doesn't offer it, so instead we headed over to Holey Moses Cheesecake in Westhampton Beach and picked up a whole pie.  Yum.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Until our next berger (or birthday!),
KLB

Cowfish
258 E. Montauk Hwy,
Hampton Bays, NY
631.594.3868
www.cowfishrestaurant.com

And if you want some truly amazing Key Lime Pie, or cheesecake for that matter, you must try:

Holey Moses Cheesecake.
332 Gabreski Airport # 115
Westhampton Beach, NY
631.849.6220
www.holeymosescheesecake.com

No comments: