Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ladies Night: Southampton Social Club, Southampton, NY

Don't judge a restaurant by its name. On a Thursday night in July the Southampton Social Club didn't seem that social. There were about 4 tables seated outside (not a soul inside) when our party arrived just after 7:30. The restaurant apparently becomes a lot more social when it morphs into a Hamptons Club just after 10:00. My guess is that on a Friday or Saturday the place is packed with partiers, but the laid back Thursday vibe was just perfect for catching up with the ladies. 

Our meal was pre-heat wave, so we enjoyed our spot overlooking the lawn as we sipped our de rigueur rose and nibbled on the whole wheat rolls. The Social Club happens to have an outstanding pre-fixe deal of 3 courses for $35.  I usually turn my nose up at the salmon/chicken only pre-fixes, but this one has a plethora of choices. 

Appetizers choices range from oysters to salad to sliders.  The entree options include the aforementioned chicken and salmon, but also surprised me with more trendy items like duck and short ribs.  I decided on a rhyming meal of ahi and mahi- and was saddened to hear they were out of tuna that night.  Four tables and they were out of tuna? Nonetheless, I opted for a Caesar salad to start. 

The Caesar was a hasty choice.  The best part of it was the parmesan crisp that covered the romaine. The dressing completely overpowered the lettuce.  With so many options for starters, I could have done better. 

Luckily, the entree was a win. A spicy mahi mahi covered mashed sweet potatoes, done in the lightest of possible ways.  It was the kind of dish that satisfies you without making you full.  No need to groan at the thought of dessert. And, good news for us, dessert was included. 

Two bites into my cheesecake, I had to surrender my dessert.  I was full after all.  And now it was time to go dance it off. 

Until our next Berger,
KLB

Southampton Social Club
256 Elm Street
Southampton, NY

No comments: