Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Pizza Miss: Cafe Crust, Southampton, NY

I had driven past Cafe Crust dozens of times and never gone in.  Located on County Road 39 in Southampton, shortly after Sunrise Highway ends (if you're heading East) is a shopping center that houses among other things, a wine store and a restaurant with a turret-like structure.  I was intrigued. 

The name Cafe Crust represents their supposed excellence in pizza.  I think it should be renamed.  We opted for the Margherita Pizza.  On a first visit to a pizza place, we always try to the Margherita, if done well it is simple and delicious.  Cheese, tomatoes and some basil should be tough to mess up.  Cafe Crust, however, gets its all wrong. 

The Crust, actually, is fine.  It is thin and crispy as should any crust made in a wood burning oven.  What is on top of the crust is the problem.  There was hardly any mozzarella, perhaps one "blob" per slice along with some other mysterious white spots, an overly sweet sauce and an abundance of Parmesan cheese.  Then they try to make it fancy with some basil chiffonade.  Even Litte D, who usually loves pizza, wouldn't touch it. 

For non-pizza people, they do offer grass fed burgers and decent fries.  But this is a pizza place, they should really focus on their craft.  I can get good burgers a lot of places, but good pizza is hard to come by. 
And I would be remiss not to mention the poor service.  I ordered a bottle of Corona Light and the waiter graciously poured the beer into a glass for me.  What wasn't so gracious was that he left a good portion of beer in the bottle and started to take it back to his station (presumably to finish it for himself).  Me, never being one to miss out on my drink, spotted this indiscretion and saved my final sips for myself. 

A disappointment in my book and not worth the stop.

Until our next Berger,
KLB

Cafe Crust
850 County Rd 39
Southampton NY
631.259.8880
cafe-crust.com

Tip: The pizza on their site looks a lot better than it does in person.  Don't let the pictures fool you!

No comments: