Sunday, September 14, 2014

Lunch Explorations: Jane Cafe, Mineola, NY

After years of working in the same office, I've decided that I need to do a better job of exploring my local lunch options. The first locale was Jane Cafe, a korean/sushi dive that unbeknownst to me was just a few minutes away.

Jane is in Mineola, a few blocks from the train station, but has a decidedly Queens feel.  This ethnic style of eating screams outer boroughs.

At lunch, Jane is filled with nearby hospital workers and attorneys, and at night, it's more of a no frills foodie destination.  Either version works for me.

If you visit at peak hours, expect a wait.  We arrived at 11:50 for lunch and there were no tables shortly after 12.  My table of sushi lovers decided to go for the Korean side of the menu.

This is very traditional Korean.  BiBimBap and Bulgogi are just as much fun to eat as they are to say.  I chose a Dolsot BiBimBap in a Hot Pot.  The black steaming bowl of brown rice, beef, carrots, zucchini and bean sprouts (I had them hold the egg) arrived smoking hot and still cooking.  I cautiously added some hot bean paste sauce and then enthusiastically added the rest.


Spicy, delicious and filling, I understand why this is the most popular lunch item at the restaurant.

I can't wait to go back and try some more of their specialties.  I may even bring some home as takeout  for JB.

Until our next Berger,
KLB

Jane Cafe
92 Main Street
Mineola, NY
516.742.0031
No website but plenty of reviews on Yelp





No comments: