Monday, April 21, 2014

A Not So Healthy Lunch: Mac & Melts, Garden City, NY

I'd been eyeing Mac & Melts since the sign went up on Stewart Avenue in Garden City. It's in a strip mall, they serve a variety of Macaroni and Cheese dishes and Grilled Cheese sandwiches - and the only question really was, why hadn't I been there yet?

Well, truthfully, I was looking for an excuse to go.  I couldn't justify chowing here on my own, so when JB and the boys came for a visit, it was time.

This is the kind of place where the menu is the decor.  It literally covers an entire wall, even while you are eating your meal you can pick out your next one.  (Note to marketers - this works).

There are over a dozen different macaroni cheese dishes available.  Each one comes in an individual small or large skillet.  Choices range from the classic to a cheeseburger to a Southwestern version.   You order in front, take a seat and wait for some cheese product to arrive.

If you don't like cheese, don't go here.  If you do, stay awhile.

We opted for a large All American Mac and a small Alpine.  The Large All American Mac is a creamy blend of Cheddar and American Cheese that you can get with or sans breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on top.  We asked for ours "plain" since the boys are picky with their toppings, but were surprised to see the parmesan still on it.  Back it went.  They treated us to some tasty homemade chips while we waited for our re-do.  Little D polished those off pretty quickly.

Meanwhile, I worked on the Alpine - a lovely combination of gruyere, aged gouda, bacon and caramelized onions.  To keep on our healthy trend, an order of tater tots satisfied Big Z who immediately asked for a second order.

Round 2 of our All American arrived and, surprise, neither of the boys would eat it.  Oh well, more for JB and me.  Of those two dishes, I think the Alpine showed more ingenuity although we may have preferred the All American with the breadcrumbs and parmesan.

I had total food envy looking at the customer next to use who bit into a Smokehouse Turkey Club with brie, turkey, apples and bacon on sourdough.  It's true, I have a bacon problem.

At the end meal, I was torn.  Yes, I liked it, but really I'm not sure if my waistline can handle a return visit anytime soon.

Until our next Berger,
KLB

Mac & Melts
684 Stewart Avenue
Garden City, NY
855.622.6358
macnmelts.com





No comments: